Updated: Jan 16, 2020
This is one my favorite Brazilian snacks. They always the first to disappear at parties!
· 1 lb bacalhau (salt cod)
· 1¼ lb potatoes
· 1 onion , finely chopped
· 1 bunch parsley , chopped
· 2 eggs , lightly beaten
· Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
1. Soak the salt cod in water for at least 24 hours, changing the water 2 to 3 times.
2. Boil the potatoes with the skin for about 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Remove them from the pot, let cool, then peel them.
4. Mash the potatoes with a ricer or a grater, but not with a food processor or blender to maintain a certain consistency.
5. Remove the cod from the soaking water.
6. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
7. Reduce to medium heat and cook the cod for about 8 minutes.
8. Remove the cod from the pot and let cool for a few minutes.
9. Remove the skin and bones.
10. Add the cod to the food processor and pulse a few times to shred into fine pieces.
11. In a large bowl, add the cod, onion, parsley, mashed potatoes and beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly.
12. Form into round balls with wet hands.
13. Fry the bolinhos for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
14. Drain them on a plate lined with paper towel.
15. Serve hot with wedges of lime.