This dish can be served all year, but I love the festive holiday colors!
Christmas Pilaf Ingredients
1 cup shelled pistachios 1 pomegranate 2 cups basmati rice 4 cups l water or stock 4 garlic cloves, minced ½ inch piece fresh ginger, minced 2 tbsp olive oil 1 tsp coriander seeds 2 red onions, finely sliced Juice of 1 lemon
1 large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
1. Lightly toast the pistachios in a dry frying pan, until toasted. Set aside.
2. Halve the pomegranate along its equator and, holding the cut side over a bowl, beat the seeds out of them by bashing the skin with the end of a rolling pin or wooden spoon. Set the seeds aside.
3. Cook the rice by bringing the water or stick to a boil, then adding the rice. Bring back to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes, until the rice is cooked and fluffy.
4. Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. When the butter is fizzing, add the coriander seeds. As soon as they start to pop, add the onions, garlic, ginger and lemon juice. Stir-fry for about 10 minutes, until the onions color and start to look sticky. Set aside.
5. Once the rice is cooked, add it to the skillet . Mix in the parsley, onions, pistachios and pomegranate seeds mixture. Check the seasoning and serve.